Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Is perfume breaking up your marriage?


So remember I was taking about perfume, the wildly popular elecropop girls trio?

Well, looks like perfume are so popular, they are starting to break up marriages.

The story comes from
a thread on the message boards over at Yahoo!知恵袋 (Yahoo!chiebukuro). My translation of the initial post is as follows:

My wife is pressing the "perfume" question.

Hello. I'm a 29 year old married man. I don't have any children.

It's not like I'm really big into music, but I download and listen to a lot of different kinds of music. It doesn't matter if it is Western or Japanese and I enjoy music from any genre.

The other day, a friend of mine recommended I give perfume a listen, but although it was music that was fairly off my particular radar, I gave them a listen and really liked it. The music videos are also quite spectacular, so I really started to get into them and started to buy DVDs on Yahoo! Auctions and collect all the CDs I could.

When I recommended them to my wife, she quietly listened and said "This is some interesting music, huh?" But then, one day, I asked her over dinner, "Who is your favorite out of the three perfume girls?" She responded angrily, 『殺すぞ』 (korosu zo, "I'll kill you.")

"Who gets these girly DVDs and CDs at this age?! You are always listening to it everyday! You pervert!" Among the verbal abuse, she overturned the table. Since then, my wife has started to curse the very thought of perfume. If they show up on TV, she will change the channel. If their music is the background of a commercial, she will mute it just for that commercial. She does this all with a blank face. It's scary.

One day, when I came home from work, I found that almost all the pictures on perfume CD covers had labels put over the faces of かしゆか (Kashiyuka) and のっち (Nocchi). Somehow, あーちゃん (A~chan) made it unscathed. When I asked my wife what she was doing, she replied with the question "Which is more important, our life together or perfume?"

We aren't very wealthy nor affluent. It seems my hobby of trying to buy CDs and DVDs had ticked her off. In the end, she hit me with these conditions. "Put all of your perfume stuff on Yahoo! Auctions, and stop listening to perfume completely. If you can't do this, I want a divorce."

Up until now, I had a lot of CDs of young girl bands/singers in pretty heavy rotation, and I bought some DVDs, but my wife had never said anything before... And how come あーちゃん was the only one to make it out without being covered in stickers? But I'm not in any position to be asking these questions right now. I have to get rid of the CDs and DVDs by the end of the month. This is really harsh...

To the wives and women out there, is there some way that I can peacefully end this thing? My wife is the same age as myself.

Thank you for reading.

On a side note, my real name is Yasutaka.

(Translator's note: That last thing about Yasutaka, the DJ who produces and makes perfume's music is Nakata Yasutaka.)

Poor guy. But, I gotta say, if is wife is that upset about it, he must be totally otaku-ing out on perfume.

But that is a good question... why perfume? And why not A~chan? Maybe it is just her cryptic way of saying which on is her favorite?!

No comments: