Thursday, September 11, 2008

IOSYS or Productive Fandom?

IOSYS is a music/art group that makes some awesome videos that are pretty popular on 2-chan and ニコニコ動画 (niconico douga). I think the videos are generally flash, but then they get put on YouTube and such.

Probably the one that I encountered first was 魔理沙は大変なものを盗んでいきました (Marisa wa taihen-na mono wo nusunde ikimashita). Marisa is a character from the 東方Project (Touhou Project). IOSYS generally just uses characters from Team Shanghai Alice games to make their songs/videos.

Strange connection to recently news in 魔理沙は大変なものを盗んでいきました (which has been around for a while)... at around 1:43 she says 「あなたとはちがうから」 which was echoed by 福田's whole あなたとはちがうんです thing. The comments on the ニコニコ動画 version reflect this. XD




Before I knew about this one, someone had already used the song to remix an episode of my old video podcast Yamato Damacy. Originally a 15 minute short film, this is the MAD (remix) version:



I laughed so hard the first time I saw that, I thought I was going to die. So when I found out what the song was in the background, I was already hooked.

Anyway, IOSYS will have been around for 10 years next month. Go visit their website and check out the Movies section or go buy a CD. You won't regret it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if there is somethig I can say about IOSYS, is that they do postmodern music done right (not boring :P). their "bloom" album is a great example.